Hike for Hospice School Challenge
An open invitation to all schools in West Niagara:
Dear Principal, Staff and Parent Council,
On behalf of McNally House Board of Directors, volunteers and staff, we would like to extend a warm invitation to your school to participate in our Hike for Hospice School Challenge during the first week of May, 2015 in conjunction with our Community-wide Hospice event on May 1, 2016.
As a fundraiser for McNally House, local schools will have an opportunity to participate in a fun-filled healthy activity while knowing that the funds they have raised will stay within our community, providing the much needed financial support to this local organization.
We have strived to make this event user friendly for schools, offering support in every aspect of the fundraiser, making it easy to participate.
Thank you for your kind consideration. We are happy to discuss with you on how to help your school participate in the event! In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call Amanda Black at McNally at 905.309.4013 ext.31
McNally House opened its doors in April 2008. This free-standing, six suite, home-like residence provides, free of charge, 24-hour specialized palliative care to people living with terminal illness, as well as those in their life circle. The hospice is a non-profit organization serving the Niagara West communities of Grimsby, Lincoln and West Lincoln. Along with the highly skilled professional staff, McNally has 150 volunteers who give their time and talents each week to help the residents and their families deal with life’s greatest challenges.
We look forward to having an opportunity to speak to you further about the Hike for Hospice School Challenge, or about our Community Hike.
Why Should Our School Host a Hike?
The students at your school will have an opportunity to participate in a fun-filled healthy activity while knowing that the funds they have raised will stay within our community, providing the much needed financial support to this local organization. McNally House will provide the school with all the materials needed to host a hike and will take care of all of the administrative aspects of the fundraiser, making Hike for Hospice a low stress and fun fundraiser for schools to participate in. Local schools have already raised over $60, 000 for McNally House, and this your chance to make a difference in our community.
What is Our School’s Role in the Hike?
- Promote the Hike within the school and involve parents. Distrib-ute the promotional materials and pledge forms to all students.
- Have all students in the school participate in the Hike and raise pledges.
- It is suggested that grade schools hike a distance of 2km. The exact distance is up to the discretion of the school. Each school is asked to choose a hike route that is convenient for them. Suggested locations would include, school playground, sidewalks surrounding the school or a local park.
- Appoint a lead teacher to the Hike who will work with McNally House to ensure a successful and low stress fundraiser.
What is McNally House’s Role in the Hike?
- McNally House volunteers will collect all pledge forms and money on the day of the hike. Tabulations, tax receipts and counting of funds will be completed by McNally House staff and results will be shared with the schools within 2 weeks of the event.
- Each hiker will receive a personalized envelope with their individual tax receipts so that they may give to their donors.
- McNally House will arrange media coverage of the event.
- McNally House will provide all students who raise $50 dollars or more with a Hike for Hospice t-shirt. And All students who participate will receive a participation ribbon.
- McNally House staff will be available to help with planning and executing the Hike, answering questions and providing support.