Bereavement Services & Groups
Grief Matters. Offering Compassionate Support for those Who have had a Loved One Die.
Grief can be one of life’s most difficult journeys and one that you need not travel alone. McNally House Hospice can provide a safe, confidential and non-judgmental space for you to share your story with others who have experienced a similar loss.
Please contact Jennifer Jowlabar – Bereavement Clinician for the most up-to-date information regarding our bereavement programs. Bereavement support is being offered in-person, zoom, or telephone at this time. To contact Jennifer, email her at email@example.com or call her at 905-309-4013 ext. 32.
What We Believe About Grief:
- The deep grief experienced following a death is normal
- Grief is a unique experience
- Everyone possesses the capacity to heal
- Critical to the healing process is an emotionally safe space to grieve
Goals of the McNally House Hospice Bereavement Program:
- To provide a safe space to explore grief however works best for the individual
- To reduce isolation by connecting with other bereaved people
- To normalize the grief experience.
- To nurture the resiliency of people by identifying their own inner resources and coping
Bereavement Services Inquiry
"*" indicates required fields
What We Offer
Anyone who is coping with the death of a loved one is welcome to attend McNally House Hospice’s bereavement programs. All programs are free of charge and require registration. Below outlines the five different types of services available to you and your family.
Please contact Jennifer Jowlabar – Bereavement Clinician firstname.lastname@example.org (905-309-4013 ext. 32) for the most up-to-date information regarding our bereavement programs.
Bereavement counselling sessions are available to individuals and families with the Bereavement Clinician, who is available to meet in the office or at the home if preferred.
Individual Volunteer Peer Support
Individuals can be matched with a bereavement volunteer who has experienced a similar loss and is trained to provide emotional support and share personal experience when appropriate.
Individuals can register for a support group specific to a particular type of loss. Support groups are facilitated by trained volunteers. As we explore the impact of our grief, sharing our stories and being witnessed can be a powerful part of the healing process for many bereaved people.
Support Groups offered include: spousal loss, parental loss, sibling loss, child loss, etc. Please register to be on the waitlist and be notified of the start date.
Bereavement Support Groups at McNally House Hospice:
- Are small groups of people who have experienced similar losses
- Meet weekly to explore their grief in a confidential and supportive setting
- Are facilitated by two peer, bereaved volunteers, who are supported by a professional Bereavement Support Clinician
- Give you a chance to talk about your own grief experience and listen to the experiences of others
Participating in a mutual support group may:
- Provide a safe space for you to explore your grief
- Reduce your sense of isolation by connecting you with other bereaved people
- Normalize your experience of grief by hearing from and sharing with others
- Provide you with information and resources.
Group activities designed to support bereaved individuals to reduce isolation, connect with others, and promote overall wellbeing. Group activities include: walking, meditation, yoga, and other kinds of activities. Please register to be on the waitlist for a group and be notified of the start date.
Art Therapy for Bereavement
Individual Art Therapy sessions are available and provided by McNally House’s Art Therapist, Shara McLaren. Art Therapy group sessions are also offered throughout the year.
At this time, all in-person bereavement groups have been canceled in order to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Please visit our social media pages for the most up-to-date information and for announcements regarding online groups.
All bereavement groups are free of cost and open to anyone who suffered the loss of a loved one. For more information or to register for any of the bereavement groups please contact Jennifer Jowlabar—Bereavement Support Clinician 905-309-4013 ext. 32 or at email@example.com.
Griever’s Corner (Virtual)
Coping with a loss is one of the hardest things we have to go through. Join us for a series of online support sessions to discuss topics related to coping with grief and connect with other grievers in a safe, supportive environment. Share your experiences or just come to listen as we support each other through grief during this time.
This group is a drop-in format, register once and attend as you wish.
Dates: Every other Wednesday starting September 21st (Oct., 5th and 19th, Nov. 2nd, 16th and 30th, Dec. 14th and 28th)
Time: 6 pm-7 pm
Artful Healing (In-person)
This group is facilitated by McNally House’s Art Therapist and is specifically for adults grieving the loss of a loved one. Using art materials, we will focus on expressing emotions and exploring your grief process. All art materials are provided.
Dates: Tuesdays, October 4th to November 8th
Time: 6pm-7:30 pm
We are grateful for the support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation