Psycho-Spiritual Services & Groups
“Let death be what takes us, not a lack of imagination” – Zen Hospice Project
Our Psycho-spiritual program is focused on providing resident/client centered care. This support is offered in collaboration between us at McNally House and the Niagara West Palliative Care Team. Our Psycho-Spiritual Clinician works with residents, families, and loved ones, both here at McNally house as well as with palliative patients out in the community. He would be happy to speak with any residents, families, or friends, who have questions or are having difficulties around end of life care.
Some possible reasons for meeting might include:
• Talking about anticipatory grief
• Talking about how to support children in the family
• Exploring any unresolved worries or concerns for those who will be left behind
• Learning relaxation exercises that can help you manage anxiety, grief and/or distress
• Sharing stories and memories about the resident and loved ones
• Creating special memories: Once we get to know more about the residents and their families, there might be an opportunity to plan something special (like a dinner party or movie night or anything that reflects what the resident is passionate about). Please talk to us about it, our staff and volunteers would love to help you create lasting memories with your loved ones.
• Sharing any values and exploring questions related to life, meaning and purpose
• Addressing any practical needs such as securing a POA, wills, funeral/burial arrangements
Many might find it comforting to create some sort of legacy work or life’s story, and we would be happy to assist you in doing so. If you feel like discussing any thoughts or concern you are having, please let our staff know and our Psycho-Spiritual Clinician would be more than happy to come and talk with you.
Psycho-Spiritual Groups and Workshops
Caregiver’s Corner- An Online Drop-in Support Group
Caregiving for a loved one can be both very rewarding and undeniably challenging. And doing so while being asked to practice physical distancing can make it even more difficult. Join us for this online support group to connect with other caregivers in a safe, supportive environment. Share your experiences, or just come to listen, as we discuss caregiving during a time of uncertainty and isolation. Please note, you only need to register once to attend any of the group sessions. Please attend as many groups or as few groups as you like.
Every Other Thursday 2 pm-3 pm
Sharing Your Life Story
A Legacy Writing Workshop for those Diagnosed with a Life-Limiting Illness
Being diagnosed with a life-limiting illness can turn your world upside down and leave you struggling to find meaning in your life. How can you still live fully while dealing with these challenges?
This workshop will introduce participants to tools for finding meaning and purpose in documenting the key chapters of one’s legacy story while processing the many thoughts and feelings that come with the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness.
Thursday, June 17th, 2021, 7 pm- 8:30 pm
Please contact Arthur Loik – Psycho-Spiritual Clinician (905-309-4013 ext. 33) if you have any questions, are interested in seeking support, or to register for any of the psycho-spiritual groups.